Monday, August 3, 2009

RENO....



What to say about Reno...I have no idea except that it was SUPER nice to get a break from the kids and to spend time with the hubby but I really won't be going back to Reno again. It was not a place that I would call fun!!! JayDee had me walking all over...now don't get me wrong...I am not THAT lazy!!! I don't mind walking BUT come on in Nevada all you get is the DRY HOT weather!!! I couldn't go very far without thinking I was going to die of thirst!!! But trust me I would rather walk around town than try to drive!!! I never missed my dear Dutch John more than the week I was here!! In Dutch John we only have traffic for a couple months out of the year that they consist of RV's, campers, and semi's!!! AND our speed limit is on average 40 mph not the crazy 85 that these crazy people drive (even though the speed limit is 65-75)!!

Monday July 20, 2009 we got up and was on the road by 7:37 am (I have to be specific since Jade made an schedule for me) only 4 minutes off from when we were supposed to leave. It was a LONG and UGLY drive...but that is what we get for driving through the deserts!! We got to Reno just after 3:00 pm(4:00 our time) and tried to figure out what to do the rest of the day. We scouted out some of the shops in our hotel (more on them later) and then remembered that we still needed to get our brake lights fixed (yes they are still broken). No one seems to know what is wrong with them and we keep getting told that we need to take them somewhere else...While in Reno we thought we could find a Chevy dealership and have them fix them. So started to scout out a place to take it...afterwards we went behind our hotel to the "Sands Casino" and got supper (only place to get Arby's near where we were). I was so surprised that Reno is as run down as it is...I guess you could say that I was expecting a WHOLE lot more glitz and glamor!! It was amazing how you could walk literally a block's distance in well kept streets and buildings and then past that one block radius it was so run down it was scary to be walking around. We were stopped twice by men asking for money. Let's just say that the only time I ventured out of the hotel was if JayDee was with me!! I know I am a whimp but I have been so sheltered these past few years!!

Tuesday came and being our Anniversary and all I thought it would be nice to get a well needed make over but found that everything was either SOOOOO expensive or they were just too busy so that was gone. JayDee did only part day of classes so when he was done we headed over to the Chevy shop to get the van fixed. Three hours later and still no brake lights and now very frustrated and ready to turn the van in for a brand new yukon xl (please someone out there convince my husband that it will be easier to get a new vehicle instead of all the run arounds we have gotten on our van!!!) we left the dealership! I was in a foul mood (just ask JayDee) and ready to crawl back in bed and have the day begin again...we all know that wasn't going to happen so here is what happened...
JayDee took me out to see Lake Tahoe. It was only about an hour away from where we were staying. Of course I asked him if he wanted to go back to the hotel for our swimming suits but he said no (later found out he was afraid that if he let me go back I wouldn't leave the room again) so off we went...which is why the pictures show us as probably the craziest people on the face of the earth!!! Who goes to the beach looking like tourists? If they do they probably have their swim suits on hand if not on! After seeing the amazing white sand and the bluest water I have ever seen it was back to the van and then we went exploring for the dam...

Yes there is a dam at Lake Tahoe. Leave it to the dam engineer to know that and to be able to find it. We looked and looked but this dam doesn't have the amazing fish that we do...I guess they couldn't have it all!! After that it was again back in the car and off we went. As we drove along Jade decided that since we were this close we should go check out the Donner Memorial center.
I do have to admit that it was amazing to see. I remember hearing the stories about how they had eaten the people who had died and being young I remember nothing else so it was neat to be able to hear the rest of the story and know that they were not as gross as I made them out to be. To hear the stories and see the exhibits I was in awe and was so glad that Jade had brought us there. Especially since it was the week of Pioneer Day. What a way to get us thinking about our ancestors and just the pioneers in general. I have such a deep respect for them. They really did go through a lot for us. As much as I hate the trials I have right now I will keep them knowing that I am not pulling or pushing handcarts up and down the jagged mountain sides. Not knowing when they would be done.

Wednesday and Thursday JayDee was in class all day so I took advantage of that time and slept until 11:00 on Wednesday and then read until he came up for lunch. After he left again I headed out to see what kind of damage I could do on our bank account. Not too bad seeing how I was in Reno (good thing I am not into the gamling thing!!) I did get over a thousand dollars worth of jewlery (NO NO NO I did not pay that amount. I am happy to say that I got them all on sale so even JayDee was okay with my purchases!!!) There were two amazing stores where I spent most of my money - Ami Jewlers and Bijoux Terner. Bijoux Terner had so many things to choose from and all of them were only ten dollars. I did get a few items for the children of course from the gift shops. I always have fun getting things for them knowing how happy they will be!! I did decide though that gambling is a lot of fun but not the way you are thinking...I had more fun at Circus Circus which is adjacent to where we were staying. It is alot like Lagoon minus the rides. You know what I mean...all those nagging people wanting you to come play their game to try for prizes. JayDee and I had a lot of fun playing those games and did walk away with 4 stuffed animals!! We did try the slots (just so we could say we had tried) but lost miserably... we put in five dollars and walked away with a slip saying we had won fifty cents. As JayDee put it..."just enough to pay our tithing!" What a waste of money and time!!! I think I will stick to the kiddie gambling from now on!!

Wednesday I went downstairs and paid the most I have ever paid for a haircut. JUST a haircut was $75.00. I went back and forth on whether or not I should but of course I did. I decided that I had to live a little. And seeing how I probably won't go back I just did it! I had a blast while they cut. The women there and I got talking (as most women do) and just hung out like we were friends. I was very happy with the way my hair looked then but now that it is up to me I am not so sure. Of course I am no professional so I don't know all the tricks to style it!! Help Carrie, even though it is a lot shorter than yours you should have tips...It is an A-line bob.

On Thursday night JayDee had a banquet and awards night and I thought I might end up alone that night but he came in one day and said that they had purchased too many meals so they had extras and he had won an extra place (due to us going and spending time at the local library so he could know the answers to the questions and win prizes) so I got to go have a fabulous meal and even sat with Blaine Anderson (an old neighbor, for those who don't know him).

And Friday morning we were up and on the road by 6:00 am and home to Dutch John around 7:00 pm just in time for our annual Pioneer Day Dinner. The kids were sad that they missed the parade but hey we tried!! All in all it was a great week. The kids were all healthy and in their own pieces when we got them thanks to DD and HH and Becky and GrandMa and Pa Guymon. They had all sorts of stories to tell us and that makes us happy. We knew they would be safe and happy and to hear it just makes our trip that much more enjoyable!!!

HERE"S TO NEXT TIME!! Maybe in a few years when the kids are older!!

2 comments:

Kelly Fam said...

I'm so glad Jaydee made you go. I'm also glad you made it to Tahoe. It's just beautiful isn't it? Now that your home and life is crazy again, you can take time to finish Harry Potter :) Of course we can never do those things on vacation, we're too busy shopping!

Kirsten Knowles said...

Sounds fun!! Minus the run down part :) I'm glad you spoiled yourself!!